WHITE UNIFORM LOST GLORY AND DIGNITY, CAN IT EVER BE REGAINED? BY NURSE OLATUNJI CATHERINE

WHITE UNIFORM  LOST  GLORY AND DIGNITY, CAN IT EVER BE REGAINED?

Nurses, what can we do about this our fallen and already rubbished white uniform.  It is no longer news that a lot of riff-raff wears this uniform and nothing is done about it.

I was in BUTH last year for my tooth extraction, saw some students in white uniform some were well dressed while some were so dirty and looking rough. Their mannerism and way of interaction with the dentists made me curious whether they were really nurses.

 I decided to engage one young and pretty one, she told me her name, I asked her which school,  she told me Ogun State School of health, Ilese.  I knew immediate they couldn't be nurses, probed further and she said they are "dental health technicians (DHT)" , I  asked her why  are they putting on a nurse uniform and she said "because we assist the doctors, and since nurses are doctors assistant we are also nurses"   I was perplexed.

The fact that it was so evident that she doesn't know anything about nursing but wears the uniform made me sad.  I  asked what does she know about nursing, she said she knows that "nurses are doctors assistant" , they are also licensed by the Dental health body.  she was also making me to understand that they are also nurses but a dental one. And that been a dental technician and a nurse is the same thing.

I took my Time to let this young naive dental technician in making that she is not and never a nurse, told her that nursing is not sub-servient to any profession.

My bone of contention in this whole matter is, how can these people be putting on a nursing uniform and nothing was done about it.

 I am not against the training of dental technicians but why must it be a nurse uniform, can't they design their own?  Why are they boldly including "basic nursing" (picture attached below) is that not Quackery?

Nurses, we can't continue to close our eyes to issues that are affecting our profession.

Is it that nursing leaders do not know this or what exactly?  Even if they don't, I am bringing it to their notice.  Something needs to be done about these technicians wearing our uniform before we know it we will have bowel technicians (that's shit business)  in Nursing uniform also.

Enough is enough on this our uniform abuse, Something needs to be done fast.

Now it is the era of #NOTEVERYONEINWHITEISANURSE till when will we do that?

I  call on Nursing leaders on this platform to kindly intervene and do something about this issue.
Thanks.
Olatunji Catherine
RN, BNSc.

http://punchng.com/lecturer-impregnated-me-rejects-pregnancy-says-nursing-student-%E2%80%A2-it-wasnt-me-i-used-condom-lecturer/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Education: LAUTECH Upgrades Nursing Department to Faculty of Nursing Sciences

Say No To Tobacco - WHO