NURSE RESCUED VICTIM OF BOKO HARAM INSURGENTS

Chioma Nwabueze is a Registered Nurse, graduated from School of Nursing, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Oyo State, 2015. She upheld the nursing oath by alleviating suffering of a man. Nurse isn't a killer nor prostitute as acclaimed by many newsprint and society. Below is her story:

I came back from work and met this guy in my house. According to my family, they always see him around and my mum fondly called mama Africa, usually give him food anytime she sees him resting in front of our compound. To cut the story short, mother was only trying to do what was written in Bible.
This man hailed from Adamawa state, a victim of the Boko Haram insurgents, he lost his parents and family during the insurgency, hence moved to  Lagos.
On the 9th of December 2017,he was brought to our home by a good samaritan who found him dying of pains, he gave the good samaritan my home address as its the only family he has in Lagos.


I met this stranger I haven't seen before in bad condition. I knew it required emergency care unfortunately i dont have facilities for first aid care as a nurse. We rushed him to the nearest hospital, a diagnosis of RUPTURED APPENDICITIS was made.

I started asking myself, Chioma who sent you? Everyone I told said i should face my business afterall we aren't family. I was heart broken with those words. The burden of hospitalization  was on my family especially myself . We went to police station to report the case, the policemen twisted the matter, wanted to detain my dad . The police officer apportioned blame on my family for helping an innocent man. It was a serious matter with the Nigeria Police Force.  He was booked for a surgery, it can only be carried out with a consent form signed. Alas no one to sign, I can't sign nor my family member because none of is his relative. My family used all available means to get someone from his state to stand in.

All efforts proved abortive, hence I signed the consent form. This is the biggest risk I've ever taken in my life, beside I understand the implication if the surgery isn't successful. I became apprehensive, fervent and hardened prayer warrior. Immediately i saw the surgeon coming out of operating room with a fascinating facial expression, i became overjoyous. " Congratulations the surgery was successful" says the surgeon. Joy knows no bound in me. Even when complications arised he got rescued and saved.  My family was saved from turbulence of Nigeria Police Force.

David Daniel was discharged today. I can't thank Nigerians and the whole world for their prayers.Two weeks in hospital wasn't easy but it was fulfilling as i manifested one of the core principles of nursing : alleviate suffering.  I will gladly do it again.


Thanks to all who supported my family in one way or the other, financially,  morally,  socially and prayer. My family is preparing on transferring him back to meet his grandma and aunt. He was able to mentioned some names as family members. We hope to celebrate Christmas together in Joy and also continue to check on him.

Chioma Nwabueze.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Education: LAUTECH Upgrades Nursing Department to Faculty of Nursing Sciences

Say No To Tobacco - WHO